Last Active: Monday, 09-08 4:40 pm
Table Of Contents
When you hear the term priority, you think of how important something is. Things with a higher priority need to be done before things with a lower one. The Pokemon video games have their own system of priority.
Moves that have a higher priority will always go before moves of a lower priority. Speed is not a factor unless more than one move of the same priority class is used. Most moves have a priority level of 0. 0 is considered neutral priority. Moves with a positive priority will move before those of a 0 priority and moves with a negative priority move after a move with 0 priority.
No moves have a priority of priority 7. Priority 7 is Switching a Pokemon out. This is the absolute first thing that happens in a turn. Pursuit only can move before this if it targets an opponent changing out. In all other cases, it is treated as 0 priority.
Again, no moves have this priority. This priority level is for Mega Evolving a Pokemon only.
Priority 5 consists of the single move Helping Hand. This move is only useful in double and triple battles and should otherwise never be on a Pokemon.
This is the first tier of priority that has multiple moves. The following moves have a priority of 4.
- Protect - Prevents any damage or effect caused to this Pokemon. Success rate decreases with continuous usage.
- Detect - Prevents any damage or effect caused to this Pokemon. Success rate decreases with continuous usage.
- King's Shield - Prevents any damage to this Pokemon. Success rate decreases with continuous usage. It also changes Aegislash into Shield Forme.
- Endure - Guarantees the user to survive with at least 1 HP. Success rate decreases with continuous usage.
- Snatch - The user steals a status move a foe is using.
- Magic Coat - The user reflects any status changes on the user.
- Follow Me - All moves target the user of this move instead of the intended target.
- Rage Powder - All moves target the user of this move instead of the intended target.
- Wide Guard - Protects the team from attacks that damage multiple Pokemon.
- Quick Guard - Protects against moves with a priority of 1 or higher.
- Fake Out - Flinches the target. Can only be used the first turn the user is brought in.
- Feint - The user inflicts little damage. If used against a foe that used Protect, it breaks the Protect.
- Extreme Speed
- Sucker Punch - Fails if the target is not using a damaging move.
- Vacuum Wave
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Sucker Punch - Fails if the target is not doing a damaging move.
- Ice Shard
- Shadow Sneak
- Mach Punch
- Aqua Jet
- Ally Switch - The user switches positions with the target.
- Bide - The user absorbs damage for 2-3 turns then pays the foe back double.
- Water Shuriken - The user strikes the foe 2-5 times.
This is the priority of any move not mentioned in any other priority tier.
This is where moves go after priority 0 moves.
- Vital Throw - The foe is unable to dodge.
No this isn't an oversight. There really is no -2 priority move.
- Focus Punch - Hits hard, but the user flinches if it is hit with a damaging move.
- Avalanche - The damage is doubled if the user is damaged by a foe's move the same turn.
- Revenge - The damage is doubled if the user is damaged by a foe's move the same turn.
- Counter - The user strikes the foe back for double it received from a physical attack. Fails if the foe did not attack or used a Special Attack.
- Mirror Coat - The user strikes the foe back for double it received from a special attack. Fails if the foe did not attack or used a physical attack.
All of the following moves will not cause their effect if the foe has the ability Suction Cups. They will also not cause the switch if the foe has Ingrain in effect. They also can't force out the foe if the opponent has no more remaining Pokemon.
- Dragon Tail - Only inflicts damage if the foe cannot be switched.
- Circle Throw - Only inflicts damage if the foe cannot be switched.
- Roar - Has no affect if the opponent has no additional Pokemon or the target has Soundproof. Capable of bypassing Substitute, Protect, and Detect.
- Whirlwind - Has no affect if the opponent cannot be switched. Can bypass Substitute, Protect, and Detect.
These are the slowest moves in the entire game. They will always go last.
- Trick Room - Pokemon that have a lower Speed move before Pokemon with a higher Speed. The effect lasts for five turns counting the current turn.
Abilities Affecting Priority
- Prankster - The priority of a nondamaging move is increased by 1.
- Gale Wings - The priority of all Flying-Type moves is increased by 1.
Wednesday, 01-08 4:41 pm